Lodge St Servanus 2000-2009

The history of Lodge St Servanus No. 771 2000-2009

 

 

Annual Burns Supper

Annual Burns Supper
2019 Annual Burns Supper
Click here for further details

Ladies Christmas Nite

Saturday 10th November 2018

Ladies Christmas Night 2017
Ladies Christmas Night 2018
Click here for further details

 


Function Suite Hire

Weddings, Engagements, Birthdays, Christenings, Funeral Purveys

demoFunction Suite Hire for your special occasion - seating for 150 persons.
Click here for further details

Lodge St Servanus 2000-2009

The year 2000 was to prove an extremely busy year and opened with a special Reigning Masters meeting on January 8th organised by the seven ‘Wee County’ lodges in what would have been one of the first masonic lodge meetings to be held not just in the twenty first century but the third millennium.

The meeting was held in Lodge St Servanus with the candidate being Mr. Martin McGhie, the son of Bro. Freddie McGhie P.M.

The seven Lodges within the ‘Wee County’ of Clackmannanshire (Alloa No.69, St. John Tulliallan No.598, St. Servanus No.771, Ben Cleuch No.782, Craiginnan No.850, Clackmannan No.1303, and Ladywell No.1474) worked extremely hard over a period of two years in order to mark the new millennium by raising funds for three local Clackmannanshire charities, namely:

  1. Struan House (Scottish Society for Autistic Children)
  2. Crossroads Care (Home care for the elderly & disabled)
  3. Lochies School (Children with learning difficulties)

The combined effort of these seven Lodges raised the sum of six thousand eight hundred and ten pounds with the cheques being presented in Lodge Clackmannan No.1303 by the principal organisers and committee members from each of the Lodges.

The main fund raising ventures were:

  1. A ‘Wee County’ Reigning Master’s Degree and Dinner in January 2000
  2. Individual lodge fundraising activities throughout the year
  3. A Millennium Ball in Alloa Town Hall in October 2000

The sum of nine hundred pounds raised as a result of the annual sponsored walk was donated to SOAPA (Scottish Old Age Pensions Association).

Having served his term of five years as Immediate Past Provincial Grand Master the lodge presented Bro. Colin Terris Wyse P.M. with the regalia of a Past Provincial Grand Master.

In July 2000 in conjunction with Lodge Bannockburn Bruce & Thistle No. 312, a number of brethren visited Eola Lodge No. 207 in Orlando, Florida where they demonstrated an Entered Apprentice degree as worked within the Scottish Constitution.

Bro. A.S.F. McGhie P.M. was appointed as a Grand Steward at the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Once again a very successful Speakers Night was held within the Lodge, this having turned into a regular fundraising since its inception in 1994.

The Annual Children’s’ Christmas Party has now been running for over twenty years and continues to be a great success.

In early 2001 it became apparent that there was a need for significant and ongoing maintenance within the building as it was showing its age. Repairs were required to the roof and substantial internal decoration was required.

The fire escape stairs, originally erected by Past Masters Bro. Colin T. Wyse and Robert D. Wilson, were also in need of repair.

Serious fundraising was required and various events were organised including a games night, a boxing night that was run in conjunction with Alloa Boxing Club and a Masonic Follies night for the ladies.

These events were very successful and all of the necessary works were carried out only for the lower hall to be flooded shortly thereafter and the works in this area having to be undertaken once again.

As we moved in to the year 2002 it was apparent that, as with the craft in general, we were experiencing a downturn in candidates.

On the other hand visitor numbers were being maintained with visitors from all over being received into Lodge St Servanus. In 2002 alone we received visitors from as far apart as Belfast, Lerwick, London, South Africa, Sydney and Shropshire.

An issue arose with a bulge being detected in the external wall. A Structural Engineer’s report was commissioned which recommended that a steel buttress be built against the wall to give it support.

A memorial stone was erected in Alva Cemetery at the unmarked grave of Bro. Alec MacPhail who had served the lodge as Tyler for a period of 42 years from 1901 to 1943.

In 2003 an obituary was read on behalf of Bro. Rev William Derek Scott who had affiliated to Lodge St Servanus in 1965 whilst Minister of Menstrie Parish Church.

Bro. Scott subsequently moved to Maud in Aberdeenshire where he continued his sojourn in Freemasonry with such zeal and commitment that he was installed as Senior Grand Chaplain in the Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1971 and 1972 and thereafter installed as Provincial Grand Master of Aberdeenshire East, an office that he held for five years from 1984 to 1989.

The Past Masters Association continued to work tirelessly on behalf of the lodge and presented new columns for the Right Worshipful Master, Senior Warden and Junior Warden along with new pedestals and batons for the wardens

In 2004 - 2005 a joint effort of all the lodges in Scotland raised a sum in excess of one hundred thousand pounds for the Grand Lodge Disaster Appeal for those affected by the tsunami that occurred on Boxing Day 2004.

In 2005 the Past Masters Association refurbished the Master’s and Wardens chairs, daises and Office-bearers jewels. The lodge sponsored ten new hymn books in Alva Parish Church.

Having been established in 1965, the Past Masters Association marked its fortieth year during 2005 and over the years has, among other things, financed the ongoing maintenance and refurbishment of the building and purchased new regalia for the Lodge’s Centenary year in 1990.

In 2005 Bro. Thomas Adams P.M. was conferred with Honorary Membership of Lodge St John Carluke No. 187 by the R.W.M. and members of Lodge St John.

The lodge donated the sum of two thousand three hundred and eighty pounds split equally between the British Heart Foundation and Crossroads Scotland.

In 2006 a farewell party was held for the Immediate Past Master Bro. Angus Douglas who was emigrating to Perth in Western Australia.

Bro. Thomas Adams P.M. was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Director of Music by the Provincial Grand Master Bro. John McKenzie.

In March 2006 Lodge St John No. 187, Carluke, conferred the Master Masons degree in Lodge St Servanus to commemorate the 60th year of the Association between the two lodges.

In October of that year a suitably engraved trowel was presented to Lodge St John on a return visit to Carluke whilst Lodge 187 presented a crystal decanter and three engraved glasses to Lodge St Servanus.

In December the retiring Right Worshipful Master Bro. James Russell presented the Lodge with three engraved water jugs and glasses for the use of the Right Worshipful Master and Wardens.

In February 2007 the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Bro. John McKenzie, on behalf of Provincial Grand Lodge, presented Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. with a Distinguished Service Diploma.

In 2007, in recognition of his contribution to Lodge St Servanus, Bro. R. Russell McKendrick was presented with a Distinguished Service Diploma.

In April of that year Honorary Membership of Lodge St Servanus was conferred upon Bro. John McKenzie, the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master and a fifty year diploma was presented to Bro. Charles Whitehead.

2008 saw the lodge hosting the Annual Provincial Grand Lodge Reigning Master’s Degree for the first time, the candidate being Mr. Peter Boyle.

Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. was presented with a sixty year diploma by the Right Worshipful Master Bro. Craig D. O'Connor.

In February 2009 Bro. R. Russell McKendrick was bestowed with the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies by the Provincial Grand Master Bro. John McKenzie.

In 2009 Bro. Ian G. O’Connor was installed as Right Worshipful Master by his father Bro. Ian O’Connor P.M. and blood brother Bro. Craig D. O’ Connor P.M., making them the fourth set of blood brothers to hold the office of R.W.M., the others being Bros. William and Ian Hall, Robert and Roderick McCall and James and Robert Beveridge.

Once again the charitable side of the lodge was to the fore with donations in excess of two thousand four hundred being made to the National Autistic Society, the Scottish Spina Bifida Society and Lochies School in Sauchie.

In 2009 brother Henry W. Purser P.M. was presented with his fifty year diploma and in December the Right Worshipful Master congratulated Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. on the occasion of his eightieth birthday.

During the period 2000-2009 there were 177 meetings with 34 intrants initiated into Freemasonry.

 

2010-2015

 

Download Historical Booklets (pdf)


 

 

Welcome
Welcome
first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
Welcome
themed object
The website of the Freemasons of Lodge St Servanus No. 771, Alva, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Bookmark and Share