Lodge St Servanus 1890-1990 - A Brief Summary

The history of Lodge St Servanus No. 771 - a brief summary of the first 100 years

 

 

Annual Burns Supper

Annual Burns Supper
2019 Annual Burns Supper
Click here for further details

Ladies Christmas Nite

Saturday 10th November 2018

Ladies Christmas Night 2017
Ladies Christmas Night 2018
Click here for further details

 


Function Suite Hire

Weddings, Engagements, Birthdays, Christenings, Funeral Purveys

demoFunction Suite Hire for your special occasion - seating for 150 persons.
Click here for further details

A Brief Summary of the First 100 Years

To mark the Lodge’s Centenary Year in 1990 Bro. Gordon N.S. Neave produced a detailed booklet entitled ‘AN HISTORICAL SKETCH 1890-1990’ recording the Lodge’s History. For those who do not have a hard copy of Bro. Gordon’s book it can be downloaded or viewed in its entirety on the Lodge website.

This section of the updated history of the Lodge provides a brief summary of those first one hundred years before moving on to the twenty five years that have elapsed since our Centenary Year.

The Charter was granted by the Grand Lodge of Scotland on the sixth day of February 1890 and the Lodge was subsequently consecrated by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire on the fifth day of April 1890 within the premises of Mr. Perry, a local confectioner, this being our first Lodge Room.

Our two sponsor Lodges were The Lodge of Alloa No. 69 and Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30 with the first Right Worshipful Master being Bro. Thomas Donaldson, a Past Master of The Lodge of Alloa No. 69.

Of the thirteen founder members ten were members of The Lodge of Alloa No. 69, two were members of Lodge Ancient Stirling No. 30 and one was a member of Lodge St John No. 16, Falkirk.

The first Regular meeting was held two days later on the seventh of April 1890 when the first candidates, four in number, were initiated into Freemasonry by the Right Worshipful Master and his Office-bearers. These candidates were John Minto, George Perry (in whose rooms the Lodge met), John Lodge and George Maltman.

The Lodge continued to meet in Bro. Perry’s rooms for two and a half years before more appropriate accommodation was found in Mr. Fulton’s premises in Queen Street. A local newspaper of the time reported of a “handsome Lodge Room and Ante Rooms, decorated and furnished in true masonic style”.

September 1912 saw the passing to the Grand Lodge above of our first Right Worshipful Master Bro. Thomas Donaldson who received a masonic funeral. Clearly having been held in great esteem, the Lodge minute book recorded that “his example and counsel did much to ensure that love and harmony characterised all of our proceedings”.

1915 saw the Lodge reach the milestone of twenty-five years but no ceremony appears to have been held to mark the occasion, presumably being deemed inappropriate with the country at war.

The post war years witnessed a great influx of candidates with four to seven candidates being the norm, as a result of which the Lodge embarked on a search for larger premises.

Our current premises, then known as the ‘Island Hall’, were purchased in 1920 and altered to suit our needs before being consecrated on the fourth day of December that year by the Provincial Grand Lodge of Stirlingshire. During that meeting the Provincial Grand Master Dr. E.E. Dyer was obligated as our first Honorary Member.

1930 witnessed the passing to the Grand Lodge above of two prominent Past Masters, the first being our last surviving founder member Bro. Alexander A. Baigrie and the latter being Bro. John D. Minto, our first candidate and number one on the Lodge Register.

1939 saw the outbreak of the Second World War and the Lodge premises being commandeered by the military as a result of which meetings between 1939 and 1945 were held in the Good Templar Hall.

1940 saw the Lodge reach the milestone of fifty years and with the country once again being at war, no ceremonial was held to mark the occasion.

In December 1945, shortly after the war had ended, the Lodge was once again able to meet within our own premises. As similarly witnessed at the end of the Great War applications for initiation were numerous and after sixteen applications had been received at one meeting there is a minute that reads “it was decided meantime to entertain no more applications”.

1946 sees the first mention of Lodge St John Carluke No. 187 visiting Lodge St Servanus and conferring the Master Mason Degree on seven brethren, a very special relationship that continues to this day, sixty-nine years on.

Then, as now, Hall Lets were an essential source of income and the years after the war were no exception with various parties, individuals, youth clubs and dance classes all contributing to the financial well-being of the Lodge.

The first Old Men’s Christmas Treat was organised in 1946 and continues to the present day.

The 771 Social Club for members of Lodge St Servanus, founded in 1946, was opened up to all members of the Craft in 1950.

In 1953, after much deliberation and discussion, the Lodge applied for and was granted a Club Licence.

In 1966, after a lapse of twenty years, a Burns Supper was organised by the Lodge and has continued every year up to the present day.

The Ladies Circle was formed in 1972 with their stated objective being “To raise funds for Lodge St Servanus” and have, over the years, raised many thousands of pounds for the Lodge.

February 1973 witnessed an informal visit from the Grand Master Mason of Scotland Bro. David Liddell Grainger, the first time that a Grand Master had visited Lodge St Servanus.

The Annual Sponsored Walk across the Ochil Hills, commenced in 1980, continues to the present day. During those first nine years leading up to the Lodge’s Centenary Year a conservative estimate was that some sixteen thousand pounds had been raised for charity.

In September 1989 the Lodge was invited to nominate a brother for the office of Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Stirlingshire and, on the motion of the Right Worshipful Master Bro. Eric A.G. Brown and seconded by Bro. Alfred S.F. McGhie P.M., the Lodge unanimously agreed that the name of Bro. Colin T. Wyse P.M. be submitted to the Grand Lodge of Scotland.

 

1990-1999

 

Download Historical Booklets (pdf)


 

 

Welcome
Welcome
first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image seventh image eighth image
Welcome
themed object
The website of the Freemasons of Lodge St Servanus No. 771, Alva, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Bookmark and Share